Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Beginning


I've started this blog to chronicle my start in the humble art of bear making (Although admittedly I'm sure you'll be subjected to all of the silly crafts I get myself wrapped up in).

To the left is an example of one little craft I've been working on... Spool Dolls... which have nothing to do with bears, but I felt like a real slug having my first post be totally devoid of any craftiness.

I have two bears currently in the works... so I will post pics of them soon.
They are Jennylovesbenny patterns :) I figured I should start by learning from someone who knows what they're doing.

I will say though, that I've already learned some important lessons:

1) Finding Mohair and bear joints locally = impossible. The internet is definitely my friend in this regard but since I'm not really sure what I'm looking for, I've yet to actually order anything.

2) Bear Making books don't exist in current bookstores... you can find books on making sock creatures, yarn creatures and tshirt creatures, but if you want to make a simple, stuffed bear, forget it! I got a list from another bear-maker I admire from books she was selling on ebay, so I plan on asking my local bookstore if they can order them. If not, I might lose my mind.

3) Teddy bear magazines... much like the items above... impossible to find locally.

I have to wonder how many people give up just due to lack of resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment