Tuesday, March 20, 2012

For those of you who sell your patterns

This is something that has bugged me for a long time... and here it is, broken down into pretty simple terms. I know a lot of people aren't going to like it much, but here it is:



Now, when I have purchased patterns, if it says not to make something for resale, I never have, out of respect for the maker of the pattern... but really, you can't tell people that.

I'm posting this not as a "Hahaha, I'm going to go crazy making stuff to sell from your patterns!!" (because really, why would I? I'd rather make my own patterns for the stuff I sell!)... I'm posting it because I really think that everyone who sells patterns should sit down and read this, and really consider whether or not they want to be selling their patterns.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Heather,

    Thanks for posting this because it is very interesting. Although I have not created any patterns, I do often wonder about the recourse those who do have. Did that sentence make sense? Anyway, thanks!

    ~ginger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I've always wondered about the legality of the "You can't sell what you make" statements too... and it seems they don't really have any legal backing to them at all.

      I've actually heard this before, and seen the documents that are presented in this article, but it wasn't broken down so plain, so I wasn't sure I was understanding it all correctly.

      I thought this article did a really good job of making the legal-ease understandable, so I thought I'd share.

      Like I said, especially when it comes to bear artists, I have never resold something I made from a pattern that says "you can't resell for profit"... because I respect the artist and their work, and only bought the pattern for learning purposes... but this article pretty much points out that those statements are bunk.

      So I want people who sell stuff and attach those statements to really read it and consider if pattern selling is something they actually want to do or not!!

      Delete
  2. Wow! I find this very interesting. There are so many people who think they are protected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I'm really hoping people read this and realize they aren't, for two reasons... 1, maybe they shouldn't be selling their patterns if this bothers them and 2, people shouldn't be black-listed for selling things they make from patterns either!

      Delete
    2. Absolutely agree with these statements Heather.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing this interesting post! Food for thought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem! I'm hoping some folks find it helpful!

      Delete
  4. Hello from Spain: thank you for displaying that information on the patterns. It is best to design your own creations. Keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete